Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 389

Thread: Your stuff?

  1. #321
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, Lads... I won't bring it up again.

    I still dig you!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  2. #322
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Peter, could I get some advice from you please. I've done a rough test recording of part of zapata, of which I memorised what you hear, but I need to write myself some dots for the whole thing as there's a lot of phrasing going on, so I'll do that. What do you think of the drum balance, too loud, too soft, does it detract from the piece or blend well? What do you think of my direction in it? Am I playing the right things with ride , bass drum and hihat? Am I catching too many accents with the brass or is it correct? At 1.13 there are some snare accents which are too loud, so do you think I should still make them on snare but quieter, or on a different drum, or leave them out? Should I play busier? Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM'sStuff/Testzapata.mp3

  3. #323
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy,

    You're way up in the mix. You
    have to push back - way back.
    Drop everything, especially
    the cymbals and kick.

    You have also made a Samba out
    of the rhumba. Now, alot of
    players are not used to rhumba.

    The problem with Samba is that
    there's too much happening on
    the beat. Notice how all the
    kicks are off the beat? Carry
    this into all of the verse.

    95% of it is off the beat. If
    you're going to kick the beat,
    let it be only on the one.

    The mix will help. Make sure
    you are getting the same mix
    in your headset too. Remember
    you are a part of the band.

    Latin bands do not usually
    have drums in the mix and in
    the rare event that they do,
    they are pushed WAY down.

    I'm not worried about the
    kicks. It's just the samba-
    kick and the mix. Listen to
    the bass-line and note what
    the keyboard's doing. Hang
    with them more. Try and feel
    what they're doing but esp-
    especially how bass is leav-
    ing spaces in his walk.

    On the kick pattern, think
    'One' and the 'Uh' before
    'Three'. For the snare, if
    you use it, think 'Two' and
    the 'Uh" before 'Four'.

    Anticipate everything. On your
    own, use that Intro as an ex-
    ample of the accenting pattern
    used in this tune.

    It's going to feel better and
    better. Already, you are sound-
    ing great!

    This is awesome, Rudy! You are
    going to thrive in this dir-
    ection. You are going to really
    grow and love it!

    Let me hear some more!

    I love it!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 04:04 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  4. #324
    Inactive Member Manu11's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2003
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    is freaking hard to play latin man!!

  5. #325
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Manu - It's letting it get
    under your skin. I'm telling
    you - This music can make us
    much better drummers! You just
    can't have more fun! Try it!

    You will love it!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 04:07 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  6. #326
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the advice peter. Could you do me a favour and record it yourself, like you did with your other tracks? That would show me exactly what you mean. I'm not really sure now how to play this based on what you said, but I also know you're right since you seem pretty experienced on authentic latin playing. I've only played slow rhumbas, and the speed of this made me think it was more samba based. I'm not sure where you mean I should make kicks or snare hits, and are you saying I should or shouldn't keep that ostinato bass drum pattern? Thanks. [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #327
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy,

    First, I'm not the authority on Latin
    playing. I might just a little more
    experienced than you and that doesn't
    mean that I can do more.

    You sound like you can do whatever you
    want. Believe that.

    http://www.thediametrixletter.com/zapata7.mp3

    There's the recent one I did for you.
    Check out the mix and my accents, all-
    around. Latin is primarily off-beat
    and 'implied'. Tell me if it gives you
    an idea. You don't have to do what I
    did but I want you to think as I did,
    mix-wise and accent-wise.

    It's not perfect but it gives you
    an idea I think. Even my mix is a
    little hot. Go even lower. It's a
    rough even close idea, though.

    Yes, the ostinato usually is not a
    part of the equation in Latin..

    YOU SOUND GREAT, MAN!

    You are right with them!!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 04:20 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  8. #328
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cheers pete, loading your version now [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  9. #329
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Aha, nice peter! You gave it more of a backbeat than I did. I actually thought of playing it much like that, so I'll do that next time. When you say drop everything except bass drum and cymbal, I thought you meant no snare drum, but you've got snare running all the way through. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I prefer your approach, as the backbeat and off beats you play give it more of a laid back lilt, plus I would find it easier to play I think. Very nice, thanks for letting me hear what you meant. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    edit: peter, for the most part, I thought my mix was fairly balanced? It should at least be as sonically strong in line with the percussion and not quieter, no? Otherwise it sounds like the drummer is tapping along and shouldn't be there.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

  10. #330
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy,

    I thought I said especially the cymbals
    kick and snare.

    Just bring it down a touch. Experiment
    with it. Try working from to low on up
    rather than too high and then on down.
    I hear you over them and remember that
    it's the vocals too. We are their slaves.

    While I make it sound a little back-beat,
    see how many hits are actually on the
    beat. I think you'll find that there are
    not that many but again, try different
    things. Just remember to anticipate.

    I'm excited about what you're doing!

    I can't wait to hear it!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 24, 2004 05:20 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •